WHAT IS DEVELOPMENTAL EDITING?
Also known as ‘Structural’ or ‘Substantive’ Editing, Developmental Editing is intended for clients who wish for an editor to work on their manuscript in a more hands-on way. Developmental Editing is less about working on a line-by-line basis, but looking at the bigger picture; giving detailed advice about overall plot (and plotholes), characterisation, point of view and whether or not the themes and elements of the manuscript work well together. It is about ensuring the novel fulfils its potential.
WHAT YOU GET
- An honest, close read of your novel.
- Detailed feedback on:
- novel pace and structure
- narrative choices (including POVs)
- theme effectiveness
- characterisation and consistency, character arcs
- plot arcs / development and any potential or perceived plot holes.
- Basic copy-editing and proofreading, focusing on typing mistakes, grammatical errors, syntax, spelling and clarity of prose.
- A revised and polished copy of your manuscript using track changes (Microsoft Word).
WHAT IT COSTS
£0.0035 per word (which translates to £280 for an 80,000 word novel). Please note that the first 3,000 words is included free of charge if the manuscript totals over 10,000 words.
For more details, please see Prices & Payments.
HOW LONG IT TAKES
Turnaround will be typically 6 weeks, but I will discuss any special requests / workload clashes with you beforehand.